Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced that Canada will be sending a delegation to Ukraine on February 28, 2014.
The Canadian delegation, which will include parliamentarians, community leaders and government officials – led by John Baird, Minister of Foreign Affairs – will meet with members of the anticipated Ukrainian transitional government and civil society.
- On December 11, 2013, Prime Minister Harper issued a statement condemning Ukrainian authorities’ use of riot police against peaceful protests in Kyiv’s Maidan Square and urging the government to respect and protect the rights of its citizens.
- On February 14 and 18, 2014, Minister Baird announced Canadian assistance to provide medical care and supplies for Ukrainian activists.
- On February 15, Minister Baird welcomed the release of detained opposition, and on February 18, he called on all sides to show restraint and to cease all acts of violence immediately.
- On February 20, 2014, Prime Minister Harper announced that Canada had imposed an expanded travel ban preventing senior members of the Ukrainian Government and other individuals, who bear political responsibility for the violence, from travelling to Canada.
- On February 21, 2014, Minister Baird welcomed the agreement between the Ukrainian Government and opposition leaders, including the Maidan council, to bring an end to months of repression and violence and hold early presidential elections.
- On February 22, 2014, Minister Baird issued a statement welcoming political change in Ukraine, including an agreement to cease violence, institute constitutional change, provide full amnesty for protesters, and move towards a coalition government and early elections. He also welcomed the release of former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
- On February 24, 2014, Minister Baird issued a statement welcoming the confirmation of Oleksander Turchinov as Ukraine’s acting President.
- The Government of Canada continues to stand with the Ukrainian people in their fight for a free and democratic country.
“Canada fully supports the Ukrainian people as they move towards elections to establish a peaceful government that respects their democratic rights. Canada is pleased to be sending a delegation to Kyiv to help support this historic transition which comes at a critical time in Ukraine’s evolution. It is a testament to the warm and enduring relations that both countries enjoy.” – Prime Minister Stephen Harper