Dear Minister Qualtrough:
Thank you for agreeing to serve Canadians as Minister of Sport and Physical Activity.
Two years ago, Canadians elected our government to deliver on what matters to them. You are responsible for upholding the commitments made to Canadians in 2021, which are outlined in the mandate letters issued to Cabinet in December 2021 (for your reference linked here).
As you take on your new role as Minister of Sport and Physical Activity, I ask that you achieve results for Canadians by delivering on the following commitments.
- Provide leadership and support to the sport community for safe and welcoming return-to-play strategies in light of COVID-19 adaptation requirements, including community sport and Team Canada preparations for international sporting events.
- Ensure a holistic and balanced strategic approach to sport development in Canada that supports the purpose and goals of the Canadian Sport Policy, including improved health and wellness for all Canadians through community sport, increased accessibility to sport programs, reduced barriers, and the achievement of social and economic goals through the intentional use of sport.
- Ensure the effective launch and implementation of the new Independent Safe Sport Mechanism, responsible for administering the implementation of the Universal Code of Conduct to Prevent and Address Maltreatment in Sport for federally funded sport organizations.
- Continue to advance the Canadian High Performance Sport Strategy and Action Plan to help Canadian athletes succeed at the highest levels of competition.
- Work with the sports sector to find solutions to reduce its environmental footprint as well as better involve our athletes in the conversation on the fight against climate change.
- Continue to develop additional programming to increase Canadians’ participation in sport, with a particular focus on Indigenous Peoples.
- Promote physical activity as a fundamental element of health and well-being and encourage all Canadians, especially children and youth, to integrate and increase physical activity in their daily lives.
- Work with Canadian sport and physical activity system partners to ensure that the Canadian sport and physical activity system reflects the diversity of Canada, and that traditionally underrepresented groups have equitable access to positive sport and physical activity opportunities.
- Work with provincial and territorial partners to coordinate efforts in areas of physical activity, recreation, and active and healthy living, including by taking a more seamless approach to sport and physical activity policy development and program delivery.
Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, P.C., M.P.
Prime Minister of Canada